Thursday, December 24, 2009

Degenerating into lists

Well, I decided to handmake all my Christmas gifts this year. Since I decided it at the end of October, and NaNoWriMo ate my November, Christmas gift making took up all my free time in December. (Plus I needed something of a break from writing after NaNo.) I have been reading, though (I still commute on the metro/tram/bus at least 2 hours a day).

You'll probably have to wait until I re-read (or re-re-re-re-re-re-re-read, as the case may be) these books, but here's a list of most of what I read in November and December (in the order they are piled on my shelf, not the order in which they were read):

Another Fine Myth Robert Aspirin
*The Wanderer Alain-Fournier
*A Doll's House and Other Plays Ibsen
Myst: the Book of Atrus Rand and Robyn Miller
*Sinning with Annie and other stories Paul Theroux
Captains Courageous Rudyard Kipling
The English Patient Michael Ondaatje
Three Men in a Boat Jerome K. Jerome
Memoirs of a Geisha Arthur Golden
The Railway Children E. Nesbit
The Hobbit J.R.R. Tolkein
Gifts Urusula K. LeGuin
*Dubliners James Joyce
Swallows and Amazons Arthur Ransome
*In Cold Blood Truman Capote


Right now I am re-reading To Swim Across the World by Frances and Ginger Park. I have not decided what will get to come on my UK trip. (On the one hand, I want to just buy books THERE! but I will need something to read in the airports on the way there. We'll see.) So there will probably be at least two more books to add to this list.

* = first time I read this book

4 comments:

Amber Noella said...

Wow, that's a lot of books to read! I'm now getting back to my nightly reading. Any suggestions for a good book a 16 year old would enjoy?
Thanks,
Amber

Asea said...

What genres/types of stories do you usually enjoy? I don't want to suggest lots of books in a genre you don't really care for. ;-)

Danielle said...

I have read The Railway Children more times than I can count. It was one of my favourite books growing up! And Captains Courageous is awesome, too. What was Memoirs of a Geisha like?

Asea said...

Reading Memoirs of a Geisha is like watching an orchid bloom in a crack on a cliff. The main character is beautiful and sweet, but exists in harsh conditions.

I enjoyed the book very much. The pacing and details are excellent, the world is exotic and privileged, the main character is clever, hard-working, torn with human emotion, and resilient. And the descriptions of the kimonos! It's like being in an art museum.